About the Burton Cummings Theatre for the Performing Arts
Welcome to the home of Moscow Ballet's Great Russian Nutcracker in Winnipeg! Originally known as the Walker Theatre, the Burton Cummings Theatre for the Performing Arts, affectionately known as “The Burt,” was constructed in 1906 and was built for a new style of professional entertainment bringing ballets, operas, and Broadway-style shows to Winnipeg. The theatre was converted into the Odeon Cinema in 1945 and served as Winnipeg’s most popular single-screen movie theatre. Original Odeon logos and artwork are still visible on the building. In 1991 it reopened as a venue for live performances, and was designated a National Historic Site of Canada as well as a Provincial Heritage Site. In 2002, the theatre was renamed after Burton Cummings, Winnipeg-born performer, and former lead singer of the Guess Who. In April 2014, True North Sports & Entertainment Limited assumed management and operating control of Winnipeg’s historic Burton Cummings Theatre and agreed to provide its programming and entertainment services and expertise for the 107 year-old, 1,604 seat former vaudeville theatre.The board of the WTPAG Inc. helps govern the theatre into an exciting new era of entertainment growth in Winnipeg.